The Official BlackBerry Developer’s Blog announced this morning that RIM has made the new BlackBerry Push Service available to developers. The service enables developers to develop Java apps or BlackBerry widgets that leverage RIM’s famous push technology to push images,text or audio content to millions of devices at once.Developers can visit www.blackberry.com/developers/pushservice for additional information, resources and tools. There is no cost to register and evaluate the BlackBerry Push Service for both Essentials and Plus tiers. For more info visit BlackBerry Push Service BlackBerry Developer Zone page and for the SDK you can go BlackBerry Push Service SDK Development Guide. There is also a list of current apps utilizing the Push technology here.
Read the entire release at The Official BlackBerry Developer’s Blog.
BlackBerry Push Plus
- Content provider sends a push request.
- BlackBerry® Infrastructure returns a response.
- BlackBerry Infrastructure pushes the data to the BlackBerry smartphone.
- BlackBerry smartphone returns a response to the BlackBerry Infrastructure.
- BlackBerry Infrastructure forwards acknowledgement to content provider.
- Read notification is returned to the BlackBerry Infrastructure.
BlackBerry Push Essentials
The BlackBerry Push Essentials option only pushes information one-way to the end user (Steps 1 and 3).